'Teaching and learning should bring joy'

 Whenever my motivation for teaching is running low, or worse, when I feel I’m heading for burnout, my go-to YouTube video for some inspiration is Rita Pierson’s Every kid needs a champion. Even though her context is different from mine, I believe there are underlying principles of the teaching/learning dynamic that are universal. 


Relationships

Rita tells us that teaching and learning is about human connections. No matter how much thought we’ve put into our curriculum and courses, or how great our materials and tasks are, if we cannot build that all-important rapport with our students, it’s likely that not much learning will take place. To me, this relationship between the teacher and students is more than just about being liked, although that is a good base to establish. It’s also about building trust and showing empathy. This is especially important with those students who seem most resistant to us. Rita reminds us to seek first to understand rather than to be understood. Part of being a reflective professional is exposing to ourselves where we went wrong and identifying how best to respond in the future. Years ago, I had a student in my elementary general English class who felt she was higher than that. Every day after class she would tell me that at a school in her country she was in a higher level. My response was to show her that she was in the right level by asking her to do an elementary diagnostic test. She complied and didn’t do too well. I pointed out the areas she clearly needed to work on. In hindsight, this was the worst thing I could have done. Naturally, she became more resistant to me and our class. There were daily tussles and this started to affect the other students. 

Looking back, I realise how much better I could have handled that situation. Seek first to understand. Why did she want to be in a higher level? Would it be possible to persuade her to see the value to be had in the elementary class? If not, would it be possible to move her and put certain scaffolding in place to support her? Perhaps she could be allowed to try the higher-level class for a few days or a week and then see how she feels. Teachers are human beings and there are a million factors that might influence our decisions. But these critical incidents are great self-improvement tools. I believe we shouldn’t beat ourselves up as it is, of course, impossible to go back in time and change things. Instead, we can learn and move on more confidently.

It's not about me

I learned a long time ago that when I’m in a class in front of students, it’s not about how good I am or how much I know. Of course, I need to be a good teacher and need to know my subject. But I think the way to show that is through making it about the students and their progress. It can be so easy for teachers to want to put their skills and knowledge on display in order to impress and gain admiration. More often than not, doing that has the opposite effect. When students tell me that I’m a good teacher, I remind them that I couldn’t have done it without them. And I believe that to be true. It’s not just some Hallmark platitude. 

But here’s Ms Pierson. I hope she inspires you too. Happy teaching and learning.


TED. (2013, May 3). Rita Pierson: Every kid needs a champion. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFnMTHhKdkw

Image

pixabay


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Incorporating information from sources

Moves Like Swales

GELT vs EAP